Dover (/dovr/) is the capital and second-largest city in the U.S. state of Delaware. It is also the county seat of Kent County, and the principal city of the Dover, DE Metropolitan Statistical Area, which encompasses all of Kent County and is part of the Philadelphia-Wilmington-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MDCombined Statistical Area. It is located on the St. Jones River in the Delaware River coastal plain. It was named by William Penn of Dover in Kent, England. As of 2010, the city had a population of 36,047. First recorded in its Latinised form of Portus Dubris, the name derives from the Brythonic word for waters (dwfr in Middle Welsh). The same element is present in the towns French (Douvres) and Modern Welsh (Dofr) forms.
The town of Felton was laid out in 1856 when the Delaware Railroad reached this area. Located between Berrytown to the west and Johnny Cake Landing (Frederica) to the east, the town became a “whistle” stop on the new railroad line. Owing its existence to the railroad, Felton was named in honor of Samuel M. Felton, President of the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad and a major force in bringing railroad service to central and southern Delaware. Incorporated on February 2, 1861, Felton’s boundaries formed a one-half mile square with the railroad line running north-south throught the middle of town. Passenger rail service to Felton ended in the early 1950’s.
The population was 1,298 at the 2010 census.
The present-day town of Frederica was part of a land grant to Boneny Bishop by William Penn in 1681. The location at a bend along the Murderkill River was originally known as Indian Point and later became known as Johnny Cake Landing. The waterfront was surveyed in 1758 and the area where most shipping activity occurred became known as Goforth's Landing. The remainder of the town was surveyed and laid out by Jonathan Emerson in 1772. In 1796, the community was renamed from Johnny Cake Landing to Frederica Landing at the request of one of Emerson's daughters, as she believed the name Johnny Cake Landing was inappropriate for a settlement close to Barratt's Chapel, a major landmark for Methodism. The Town of Frederica was incorporated by the state in 1826. The incorporation act for Frederica was repealed in 1855, only for the town to be reincorporated in 1865.[
The population was 774 at the 2010 census. ILC Dover, the company which manufactured the spacesuits for the Apollo and Skylab astronauts of the 1960s and 1970s, along with fabricating the suit component of the Space Shuttle's Extravehicular Mobility Unit (EMU), is located nearby.
Harrington is home to Harrington Raceway & Casino, which is located on the Delaware State Fairgrounds. The Delaware State Fair holds a 10-day event in July annually and celebrated its centennial in 2019. The Delaware State Fair is a diverse, volunteer supported non-profit community based organization that is committed to educating and promoting agricultural heritage and values. Harrington has been a hot bed of sorts for harness racing, where Harrington Raceway has been the home of a harness racing meet for over 70 years.
Founded in 1780 by Benjamin Clark it became known as “Clarks Corner” In 1862 the name “Harrington” was adopted.
The population was 3,562 at the 2010 census.
“The Town of Little Creek is a charming Bayshore town with an interesting history while offering the potential for traveler services. The Town of Little Creek, settled in the early 1800’s, allegedly was first inhabited by pirates. Originally called Little Landing, the town was most prosperous in the late 1800’s when a thriving oyster industry emerged. Nearby Port Mahon grew into a stopover for large ships and commercial boats that led to businesses, such as bait shops, restaurants and a cannery in town. The Old Stone Tavern, actually never a tavern, was built in 1829 with the stone from the ballast of old sailing ships. Today, few boats are found in the Town’s waters. Now, part of the Little Creek Wildlife Area, Port Mahon was previously lined with fishing shacks and oyster-shucking houses.” “Close-by Pickering Beach is a designated sanctuary for horseshoe crabs. The horseshoe crab is designated as the state marine animal, a significant species of the Delaware Estuary.”
The town has 80 houses and a little under 200 residents. There are currently 4 commercial structures and 2 municipal structures.
According to early history, Smyrna was first settled prior to the American Revolution on the southern bank of Duck Creek, near the fork of Green's Branch. In 1716, this tiny village was first named Salisbury. It was, however, also known to its inhabitants as Duck Creek. Duck Creek soon became a thriving community of merchant vessels. Present day Smyrna is at least three times its pre-1900s size and growing rapidly. The town's strategic location in the northeast, in addition to its location 12 miles north of the state capital of Dover and 30 miles south of the major business center of Newark and Wilmington, makes it a competitive location for business. Smyrna's historic small town atmosphere and its great pride in its quality of life and educational system make it highly desirable for families and homeowners. Home to approximately 6,000 residents, Smyrna was recently ranked 31 in the nation and number one in the state among towns ranging between 5,000 and 15,000 people. Enjoy Smyrna - a place where the past co-exists pleasantly with the present while diligently preparing to leap into the future.